On January 18, 2018, over 65 participants from Los Angeles Unified School District, Founders Academy of Las Vegas, Pasadena Unified School District, and Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District attended our Inclusive Schools Leadership Institute – Focus on Co-Teaching, offered in collaboration with Cal State LA Charter College of Education. Participants attended in school-based teams that included an administrator learning alongside co-teaching teams of special educators and general educators.
Participants reported that the session helped them to articulate their strengths as educators and leaders and empowered them to appreciate a strength-based approach to their co-teaching work. The institute also provided an opportunity for all co-teachers and administrators to engage in reflective practice with their colleagues for future team collaborations.
Listen to What Participants Had to Say:
To access resources included in the toolkit book distributed on January 18th check out the links below:
- UELC StrengthsFinder for School Teams – PPT Handouts for Institute AM Session
- Co-Teaching Frames of Reference Exercise – Institute Exercise for Role-Based Groups
- Co-teaching is like… – Exploring Metaphors Handout
- Observing Co-Teaching: What to Ask For, Look For, and Listen For – Wendy W. Murawski & Wendy W. Lochner
- Evaluation of Co-Teaching Instructional Approaches – Susan Hertz & Phylis Jones
- What is Co-Teaching? An Introduction to Co-Teaching and Inclusion – Nathan Trites
- What are the Obstacles to Learning? – Metamorphosis Teaching Learning Communities
- Implementation of Co-Teaching Factors – Cynthia Pearl
- The Power of Two: Making a Difference through Co-Teaching – Darlene Jones-Inge & Terri Wellner
- Preparing to Co-Teach – Stacia Rush (Access Center Webinar Materials)
- An Administrator’s Guide to Co-Teaching – Wendy W. Murawski and Philip Bernhardt